Apr 12 2010

Native City

Published by under Cities

Last week you talked in groups briefly about your native city. You had a lot of questions that you could ask the other people in your group. These were the questions:

• What’s the name of your native city? Where is it located in your native country? What kind of city is it? Is it big, small, urban, rural, industrial? Is it near mountains, lakes, deserts, forests, rivers? What’s the scenery like?
  • What kind of museums are there in your native city? Are they very well-known?
  • What’s the weather like in your native city? Are summers hot and winters cold? Does it snow? Does it have lightning and thunderstorms? Is it foggy?
  • What kind of buildings are in your native city? Where do people live? Where do people work? Where do people shop?
  • If some people were planning a trip to your native city, what advice would you give them? What would you tell them to be sure to do there? What would you tell them to avoid?
  • What are some similarities and differences between San Francisco and your native city?

I would like you to write a paragraph about your native city. You do not have to answer all the questions. You can choose which questions you would like to answer, or you can write something that doesn’t answer any of my questions at all. I will respond to your post.

20 responses so far

20 Responses to “Native City”

1.   Rosaon 12 Apr 2010 at 10:53 am

I came from Hong Kong, which has now returned to China. When I grew up there, English was the main language along with Chinese. It is beautiful and always crowded there!
    Hong Kong has four seasons – Spring is wet! Summer is hot, humid and also a typhoon season! Fall is most beautiful and relaxing there! No snow at Winter!
    Hong Kong is a shopper’s paradise and you can find almost anything on the planet and you can travel easily around South East Asia from Hong Kong too! The food is awesome which I miss the most!

2.   Ibtisamon 12 Apr 2010 at 11:19 am

Dear Lauri,
    Nablus is my native city. It’s located in the middle of Palestine. It has two mountains Toor and Ibal. It is an industrial city especially for olive oil and olive oil soap factories that are because it’s famous for the best olive trees in the world; the reason is because some of them are very old and their age is more than a thousand years old. It has four seasons, Summer is warm and dry, Winter is raining and cold, Spring is very nice and flowery, Autumn is dry and sometimes dusty. Most people live in their own houses but some of them recently live in apartments in buildings not more than eight stories high.
    If some people ask my advice about visiting my city, I recommend not to do that this time because of the ugly war between Palestinians and Israelis. I hope truthfully the war will soon end and peace and love will become the aim of all the countries in the world.

3.   Lisa 'Sub' Weineron 12 Apr 2010 at 11:21 am

I would enjoy visiting Hong Kong some day ….. it seems so huge, diverse, and busy. Your description of your native city causes me to imagine the smells, the tastes of the food and and the shopping opportunities.
    The weather in Hong Kong changes much more than here in SF, and although I have seen news videos of a typhoon, I cannot imagine the strength and awesome power of such a storm.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

4.   Lisa 'Sub' Weineron 12 Apr 2010 at 11:24 am

Ibtisam,
    Nablus was such a wonderful place when I visited there in 1975. I can picture the olive groves in my mind and I also remember the goats in the Wadi as I was looking out the bus window on my way to your native city.
    Peace is so simple — but it does not seem easy to achieve.
    Lisa

5.   betty_chenon 12 Apr 2010 at 11:38 am

I was born in Taipei Taiwan. It is located in Northern Taiwan. It was very crowded because it is a Capital and has a river the name was freshwater river horizontally to sea and have a Mt. Yang-Ming that is my hometown. I have a house at the spring water. There are four seasons which are very different It is foggy only at the mountains. The people are honest and the weather is very similar to San Francisco. That’s what I’ve seen when I lived here.
    Dear Lauri I hope you come to see us pretty soon.
    April /12/2010/11:36am

6.   Laurion 12 Apr 2010 at 6:49 pm

I fixed your mistakes. In your last sentence, I think you meant the food was awesome and not aweful (which isn’t an English word, and sounds like awful, which I think is opposite to your meaning!) I have always heard good things about the food in Hong Kong. I can agree that Summer is hot, humid, and typhoon season, because that was when I had time to visit Hong Kong, in 1970 and 1973. Unfortunately, at that time Americans couldn’t visit China, so Hong Kong and Taiwan were the only possibilities.

7.   Laurion 12 Apr 2010 at 6:55 pm

I have never had the opportunity to visit the Middle East. It is sad that there is so much war over there. Peace does in fact seem simple but in reality it seems to take forever.

8.   Laurion 12 Apr 2010 at 6:58 pm

I can tell you about my experience with a number 3 typhoon when I was visiting AliShan Mountain in Taiwan. I took the train with a friend who was acting as a guide. We were going up the mountain to see the sunrise, but nature had another idea. There was a big typhoon and part of the train tracks were washed away, so we were stuck on the mountain for several days. No one spoke much English, so I had a chance to try and use my Cantonese and a lot of English teacher hand movements. Finally we took the train down the mountain and stepped on some cardboard between trains so we could continue back to the city.

9.   Laurion 12 Apr 2010 at 7:04 pm

I remember spending two vacations in Taipei and Taiwan, but they were back in 1970 and 1973, so quite a lot of time has passed. I remember bowling in a bowling alley near the hotel I was in. I also remember a huge but beautiful bug in my motel room. It was on the night table, and at first I thought it was a wooden sculpture, until it moved. I was very surprised!

I hope I’ll be able to come back in a couple of weeks. I will have to see how I feel first.

10.   Leaon 13 Apr 2010 at 10:18 am

Hey Lauri!

I live in a really really small village called Spall. It’s in the south-west of Germany, the State is called Rheinland-Pfalz. The capital of Rheinland-Pfalz is Mainz, and it’s a one-hour drive from my village. Around Spall are forests, many forests. Well, nothing else :-) It’s an old village, with only 200 inhabitants.
    I lived for one year in a city before I left Germany, and when I think about it now, I feel appreciative that I grew up there.
    I love to walk through the forests, meeting my friends outside, go for a ride with the bicycle etc. I had 2 horses, and it was just awesome to ride over the wide fields, the snow in winter. I really miss that! But still, I can’t imagine living there when I’m back. I want to study, and for that it’s the best to live near a city, to go party and so on. But I can’t imagine raising my one children in a city, I’m a girl from the village, like my mom use to say!
    The weather there is nice. The summers can be really hot, and the winters pretty cold. I love the cold, snow, rain…that’s what I missed during my year in San Francisco.
    You can’t really compare Spall to San Francisco. It has nothing, except one restaurant. The nearest city is 30 min away, that’s where you do your shopping etc.
    But I love it more than SF, it’s so calm and stressless there.
    I can’t wait to go back, even if it’s just for some weeks before I move to Mainz to start to study!

11.   Leaon 13 Apr 2010 at 11:10 am

…my OWN children…i will have more than ONE :-)

12.   xyliaon 13 Apr 2010 at 11:59 am

I was born in Guangzhou, a big city in the south of China. I’d lived there more than 30 years before I came to the USA.
    That city is developing rapidly in these years, living there is more and more convenient and colorful. I miss the shopping mall and food every day.
    But since I’ve moved to San Francisco I think I won’t go back to Guangzhou in summer anymore. In Guangzhou’s summer, I can’t sleep without an air-conditioner and I would not go outside if I could. My sister’s son visited me a few years ago in Guangzhou. He said he didn’t know how I could survive in that summer.
    Lauri,
    I’m sorry I can’t finish this paragraph before the end of the class,and there will be many mistakes without Lisa’s help. sorry.

13.   Lisa Weineron 13 Apr 2010 at 12:13 pm

OMG!!!
    You have such incredible stories…..I can imagine the body language, hand gestures, and the Cantonese flying back and forth.
    To have tracks washed away would strike fear into most passengers.
    Nature will always win.
    Lisa

14.   Lisa Weineron 13 Apr 2010 at 12:17 pm

Betty,
    Your home town seems like a very peaceful place. Having your house near the water and the mountains must be lovely.
    I have never been to Taiwan so I enjoy hearing stories like yours.
    Lisa

15.   Lisa Weineron 13 Apr 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hi Xylia,
    Your descriptions of Guangzhou are vivid. I can imagine the hot and humid summers because I lived in Washington, D.C……. very humid in the summer and very cold in the winter.

I have heard that Guangzhou is famous for its delicious food and fresh vegetables. Is this so? What are some of your favorite recipes?

(You have very few mistakes in your message, Xylia–a few missed articles and misspellings) No worries – we can go over them together tomorrow.)
    Lisa

16.   Laurion 17 Apr 2010 at 8:17 pm

You certainly come from a small town! I can see why you would miss it. Before I came to San Francisco, I stayed in New York for a month. Now *that* was a stressful city. I preferred San Francisco because the people weren’t in as much of a hurry here. I can’t imagine how much less stress there must be in your small town. I hope you enjoy your trip back there.

17.   Laurion 17 Apr 2010 at 8:21 pm

I know how hot it can be in the summer, Xylia. When I was in Hong Kong, I had to go in the summer. I remember the weather was so hot and muggy. If you stepped outside for a minute, it was like walking into a wall. All of your energy left you. That’s one reason I like San Francisco. The weather is never really hot or cold. I’m happy with the weather here.

18.   DeborahLon 19 Apr 2010 at 10:45 am

If some people were planning a trip to Hong Kong, I would advise them not to go during the months of March and June through August. I remember it was humid in March and even the wall was wet. The summer is the typhoon season and that means a lot of rain. It is so humid and hot that you wouldn’t like to be staying outside for 10 minutes. The feeling was just like walking into a oven. If you have to go during those months, try to go out early in the morning or at night.

19.   Fredon 19 Apr 2010 at 10:50 am

Dear Lauri and Lisa,
    La Garenne Colombes which is really close to Paris is my native city. And before coming to San Francisco, I’ve always lived close to Paris or inside Paris, I’m a urban girl ! It’s less green than the city of San Francisco. There are much more historical places, buildings, and usually people like to visit Paris along the Seine to cross the city. There’s so many tourists in Paris in summer time and less native people, that I think it’s the best time to visit Paris ; it’s less stressfull. France has four real seasons and summer is sunny, usually not too hot, and it’s great. I couldn’t list all the places I recommend to visit, Paris is a big city and it depends on how many days you have and your interests… but I definitely can recommend if you love delicious meals some great restaurants like the restaurant Jules Vernes inside the Eiffel Tower in the evening, it’s so magical to eat there and so delicious that you have to reserve 6 months before or more !What I recommend to visit is not only Paris but many countrysides places like “les Chateaux de la Loire”, “La Provence”, “Les Hautes Alpes” !

20.   Lisaon 19 Apr 2010 at 11:01 am

Chic Alors!
    Enjoying an exquisite meal in an elegant restaurant in an exquisite city, at night, creates vivid scenes and enticing smells in my mind.
    I visited Paris many years ago and I remember the delicious breakfast croissant I ate — with the freshest butter and jam.
    Paris was fascinating and it was quite clear why many artists continue to enjoy the views and the lighting.
    I recfall that I was kicked out of my hotel when the manager of the pensione saw my American passport! He said that Americans were not welcome!
    I thought that was very funny —and it provided me with a great story to tell my friends upon my return to the US.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS