Apr 05 2010

Vacation

Published by under General

I hope you all had a good vacation and are coming back ready to study again. As for me, I didn’t get a vacation from my new job as a cancer fighter, you know! I thought I’d let you know that my treatment is going well, but it’s just too hard to do that and come to school too. I think my treatment is about half finished now; some parts are almost finished, but other parts aren’t.

I am still preparing the lessons for the Internet on Monday and Tuesday, as well as checking with Lisa for the other days so you can have the grammar and homework lessons I have already prepared. This is certainly not the semester I had planned, but sometimes life interferes with our plans. I am doing pretty well, actually, but I don’t want to wear myself out, so I haven’t been back to school for a while. I guess you know that already!

Some students think they want to leave me alone and not bother me, but really, I’d rather hear from you, so I’m asking you to answer my questions on this blog so I can respond to you too. At least that way I feel like I still have a class, even if I can’t come to school right now.

I would like to know what you did on your vacation. Did you read any good books or visit any interesting museums? Did you cook any special food or just relax and watch movies in your own language? Write a little to let us know how you spent your vacation.

12 responses so far

12 Responses to “Vacation”

1.   Leaon 05 Apr 2010 at 10:45 am

Hey Lauri!
    It’s great to hear you’re doing well!
    My vacations were like always…work, work, work…that’s the bad part of being an Au Pair :-)
    Besides of that, I spent some time with my friends, we went to see the movie: The last Song, which was really awesome.
    I read some good books too. I really like all vampire stuff, so I bought a series called: Vampire Academy, and a book called: Thirst. They were just awesome!!!
    I went shopping with my friends, relaxed at Starbucks or walked to Twin Peaks. Just hanging out with my friends.
    Then my sister was here for 5 days, and I showed her SF. It was great, but stressful. It’s kind of hard to show SF in 4 days, she and her boyfriend were really exhausted! Now she’s gone again, and I miss her. But it’s just 4 months left and then I will see my whole family again! I can’t wait!

Best
    Lea

2.   Betty Dangon 05 Apr 2010 at 10:55 am

Hi Lauri,

Usually on Spring break I take a vacation to go to visit my sister in L.A. We usually go to DisneyLand and Hollywood, but this time I didn’t go anywhere because my daughter was sick. She couldn’t go to school for two weeks and I needed to stay home with her. I took her to see a doctor several times. I didn’t have time to go to school. Now, today she is able to go to school.

3.   ibtisamon 05 Apr 2010 at 11:24 am

Dear Lauri,
    I hope your new job as a cancer fighter will finish as soon as possible and the treatment that you have will end your suffering from this hard illness. Thanks for your preparing our lessons for the Internet that make us feel as if you are with us.
    On my vacation I did many things. I took care of my granddaughters, cleaned my house, did laundry, went shopping, cooked, and made a small birthday party for my six-year-old and my eight-year-old granddaughters. I cooked stuffed chicken, vegetable dishes, salad, lentil soup and chocolate cake. I bought them two twin blankets for their beds as gifts for that occasion. They loved them but they asked me why I didn’t also bring some toys; so I promised that I would buy the toys they like very soon. They want me to buy a cat and a dog and because I love them very much I have to make them happy.

4.   DeborahLon 05 Apr 2010 at 11:36 am

I had a lot of little projects that I planned to do during the one week spring break. For example, cleaning up my bedroom, the kitchen and the back yard were on my list to do. The whole week went by so quickly. I didn’t do too much. But I was very happy to have found a cassette tape of my daughter when she was 8 years old and playing her piano recital. If I hadn’t listened to all the tapes I found (at least 50 of them), I would have thrown my daughter’s recital tape away. Even though it took a whole day and I had to go through all those tapes, it brought me a lot of good memories.

5.   betty_chenon 05 Apr 2010 at 11:49 am

Dear Lauri
    It’s great to hear you are getting well It’s past easter break. I had a good time meeting my good friends at my home. They came to my house and went shopping with me. Because I still miss you, I hope you can come back pretty soon anyway. betty miss you Monday/April/5/11:45am

6.   Laurion 05 Apr 2010 at 8:03 pm

Oh, I never thought of it that way–an au pair would have more work to do on a vacation, for sure. (If the kids have the same vacation!) How nice that your sister and her boyfriend were able to visit you, but a whirlwind tour of San Francisco would leave anyone exhausted!

7.   Laurion 05 Apr 2010 at 8:06 pm

Oh I’m sorry that your daughter was sick, but glad to hear she is back to school now. When kids are sick, their parents worry a lot. Maybe you will be able to see your sister during the summer.

8.   Laurion 05 Apr 2010 at 8:10 pm

Oh my, did your granddaughters want a real cat and a dog, and not a toy cat and dog? Real pets are a lot of work! Toy cats and dogs are easy to take care of. If sounds like you were very busy during the vacation. Do you know what food I am eating a lot of now? It’s hummos. Ever since you gave me some hummos at last years party, we’ve been buying some. I have a particular taste for it now too. The one we buy isn’t as good as yours, but it’s still pretty good.

9.   Laurion 05 Apr 2010 at 8:12 pm

Oh that’s a great story about the piano recital. We have to be careful about throwing away old tapes if we are not sure what is on them. I have some tapes from when my kids were younger too. It’s very nice to see the good memories.

10.   Laurion 05 Apr 2010 at 8:16 pm

Nice to hear from you, Betty. I’m glad you had a good time with your friends on the break. I hope I can come back soon too, but I am not sure when yet. Maybe May, although I’ll see how I feel at the end of April.

11.   Lisa Weineron 08 Apr 2010 at 9:10 am

Hi Lauri,
    Your fighting staus during vacation is quite upbeat although rough. I cannot fill your red shoes but I am enjoying my shoes in your classes because your students are so motivated. Your lessons are appreciated and incredibly thorough. Each student is self-paced and teaching me mucho mucho info as well.
    It’s a great adult pedagogical exchange.

Yesterday was CASAS at 10:15 — went smoothly and at least 13 Ss participated. Let’s hope the Governator gets the message!
    My Spring Break was full of visitors from abroad (Germany, Austria, France)–a regular United Nations at Hotel Weiner.
    Then—-my water tank blew….gas leak-oi vey—now a new tank has been installed and I no longer feel as if I am camping when I had to heat bath water on my stove.
    I’ll email you tomorrow with more updates since returning from my Vacation….including how far we get in 10:15 class today and Friday.
    We have a new student in the Typing section … and Ss are moving up throughout lessons , including Spreadsheet and Internet.

Thoughts of strength and peace are headed your way,
    Lisa

12.   Laurion 08 Apr 2010 at 10:44 am

Thanks to you and the students for the sympathy cards that Crystal delivered. You’ll note I fixed the CASAS typo and deleted the mea culpa. (The boss of the blog has special privileges.) Sounds like you had a real exciting Spring Break between the visitors and the water tank. I’ll be waiting to see how far you get on Friday. Until then!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS