Mar 22 2010

The Census

Published by under American History & Politics

It’s census time again, and I thought I would take this opportunity to tell you about the census. You probably already received your census form in the mail. It is sent to every address in the country. Every ten years, we count the number of people who are living in the United States. This count of people has been going on since the very first count in 1790. In fact, the census is part of the Constitution.

If you fill out the census form and send it back, no one will call on you. However, if you ignore the form, someone will come to your house to help you fill it out. You have to count everyone who is living in your house/flat/apartment, every age from just born to over 100. It is very important for the city of San Francisco and the state of California to have an accurate count. The amount of money that is sent to the state and the city for a lot of services depends on the number of people who live here. In addition, the House of Representatives is divided up according to population. Every ten years some states which have lost population, lose seats, and some states which have gained population, gain seats.

The main information that you need to put on the form is the name, age, sex, and race of everyone living in your household. There is also a question about whether you own or rent your living space.

It is very very important to fill out and return the form. If you want some more information, you can even go to the government 2010 Census page and select your own language to read about the census.

Have you already gotten the census forms? Did you fill them out and send them in yet? Is there a similar kind of census in your country?

15 responses so far

15 Responses to “The Census”

1.   Leaon 22 Mar 2010 at 10:24 am

Hey Lauri!
    I hope you’re doing fine!
    Actually I really don’t know if there is something like that in Germany, but I guess so. I think it’s really important to know how big the population is, so I’m pretty sure that we have that in Germany too.

Best
    Lea

2.   Zinaidaon 22 Mar 2010 at 10:58 am

Hello Lisa,

I read the article about the Census in the USA. I think it’s very important part of life for everyone ,who lives in the USA,.to fill in the application and to send it back.
    Our government can improve many things if it knows how many people are living in the country. For example, the needs of schools for any age, hospitals, how many houses the government is supposed to build and many other things.

In my previous country – Russia, we had the census but it was only to know how many people and what kind of nationality were living there.This is my opinion for the Census..

Zinaida Rabzinovich

3.   Betty Dangon 22 Mar 2010 at 11:02 am

Hi Lauri,

How are you? Are you doing fine? We miss you so much.
    Thank you for making homework for us to do.
    I had already filled out the census form and send it back on last Saturday,
    I didn’t know about census in my country, because I was a kid and my mom didn’t tell me anything. But when I became a parent, I told my kids what the census form is for.

4.   Ibtisamon 22 Mar 2010 at 11:25 am

Dear Lauri,
    I hope you are doing fine,
    I don’t know if my son filled the census forms for us or not yet because he usually does things like this to help us to not be worried about many things. I think everyone should obey this rule and send the information the government wants us to send, because it is so beneficial to the state and its population and peaople shouldn’t be worried. In Palestine we have a census like that but I think it’s not worth it because many people don’t stay there the whole year and they move to other countries to protect themselves from the war that is happening all the time during the year.

5.   Lisa Weineron 22 Mar 2010 at 1:06 pm

Zinaida,
    Thank you for your interesting conversation and the Census comparisons between Russia and the USA. It would be wonderful if the US Census gave more money to the Community Colleges.
    Today, in Sacramento, is a huge demonstration to support more funding for colleges such as City College of SF.

If the Census were to assist with more funds, then it would really be helpful. Don’t you agree?
    See you tomorrow,
    Lisa

6.   Laurion 22 Mar 2010 at 9:58 pm

Hi Lea,

I’m doing okay, thanks. It would seem there would be some kind of counting in every country, but I don’t know how they come up with their population estimates.

7.   Laurion 22 Mar 2010 at 10:01 pm

I wonder if the population count in Russia makes a difference in any government funding. Unfortunately, I don’t think the census will give more money to the Community Colleges. I think that is based more on Sacramento funding decisions and the number of students attending, which is why a lot of people went on the march today.

8.   Laurion 22 Mar 2010 at 10:02 pm

Hi Betty,

I’m doing okay, and it’s nice to be missed, but I’m glad I got a good substitute. It lets me relax and not worry about the class.

9.   Laurion 22 Mar 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’m doing okay, thanks Ibtisam. You can check to see if your son filled out the census form. If you are living in the same house, then he probably did it, since you have to put all the people in the house on the same form.

10.   Yasukoon 23 Mar 2010 at 10:47 am

Hi Lauri.

How are you, Lauri?
    How are your feeling?
    I am praying to God about your health.
    I read today’s article about census. I’ve already sent my census form back. I think it is very important to fill out and return the form. There is a similar census in my country Japan this year.
    Please take care of yourself.

Yasuko Shintaku

11.   DeborahLon 23 Mar 2010 at 10:56 am

I am glad that you’re doing ok. You are always in our prayers.
    My husband already filled out the census form and mailed it out the day he received it. I don’t know if they have census in China or not. But I am sure something like that is needed for every country to calculate the population.

Deborah

12.   Laurion 24 Mar 2010 at 10:07 am

Hi Yasuko,

Thanks for your prayers. I’m doing okay. It’s interesting that Japan has a census this year too. Is it also every ten years in Japan?

13.   Laurion 24 Mar 2010 at 10:09 am

Your husband did a good job to send it back so fast! It’s so easy to fill out, too. I’d be afraid if I didn’t do it right away that I would forget and then they would have to send someone to my house to remind me. I sent mine in right away too.

14.   Rosaon 24 Mar 2010 at 12:39 pm

Hello Lauri,
    I am glad to read your responses on the blog and knowing you are doing okay from your treatment, be positive and get well!
    Today is the first day I come to the classes after my home innovation project – I miss you! I like your substitute – Lisa.
    The census form is easy to fill out and I already sent it back! I agree it is very important for everyone to return the form so it gets count to receiving federal funding for our State!
    Take care yourself and hope to see you soon – also Happy Easter!

Rosa

15.   Laurion 26 Mar 2010 at 8:28 am

Rosa! I wondered if you were going to make it back this semester. I am still hoping to come back for the last month or so of school. I’m glad you like Lisa. It is much easier to miss class when I have a good substitute.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS