Mar 02 2010

Climate Change

Published by under Animals & the Environment

If you read or listen to the news, you have probably heard about Global Warming. Records show that the earth’s temperature has been going up over a period of years. Many scientists are very concerned about what will happen if the ice melts and the sea level rises.

Now that the terrible snows have been happening on the East Coast, a lot of people have been making jokes about Global Warming because the weather there is cold and the snowfall is much heavier than normal. Other people try to explain that the issue is really Climate Change. When the climate changes, some places might be warmer, and other places might have more snow.

Most climate scientists agree that the increase in temperature and climate change has been happening faster because of human activity. There is some disagreement about what to do about it, especially in this country.

Yesterday (or today!) you read the article called Snow Melting on Mount Kilimanjaro. That article was written in 2002. The website of the National Air and Space Administration shows two pictures of Mount Kilimanjaro, one from 1993 and one seven years later. The pictures are here. You can see how much ice had melted in those seven years. (You can close the window with the pictures when you are finished looking at them.) Another article in the New York Times from November, 2009 explains that the ice cap is still retreating, and has gone down another 26% since 2000. The article and another picture is here.

Recently a huge iceberg the size of the small European country of Luxemburg, about 2550 square kilometers, broke off a shelf in Antartica when it was hit by another floating iceberg. Scientists are concerned about the impact of occurrences like these too.

Here is a video showing a piece breaking off a smaller iceberg off the coast of New Zealand: (You can get headphones and listen to it.)

What do you think? Do you think that people are causing climate change? If so, what do you think should be done about it?

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Climate Change”

1.   Mahaon 02 Mar 2010 at 10:58 am

Hi Lauri, thank you for choosing this topic, because you gave me a chance to read more about that matter. I opened the Internet and after viewing the subject, Yes I think that people are causing climate change and I think that we have to use energy wisely, with carbon management by balancing economic development goals with carbon reduction goals.
    Also I understand that fat people are causing climate change, so they have to reduce their food and try to walk or cycle instead of riding the cars.

2.   xyliaon 02 Mar 2010 at 11:24 am

I heard this word “global warming” many years ago. I didn’t think that was a big problem at first. I even thought warmer is better than colder. But the climate has changed so badly in these few years. I finally understood global warming means the climate will change extremely, it’ll be colder and colder in one place, in another place it will become hotter and hotter. I think the earth is “sick “and is taking revenge on humans. We have done many things to hurt the environment, the pollution, the overcutting forests etc. We have to stop these activities for our children, so they could be living in better surroundings. There’re many little things we can do to help the environment, such as wearing little heavier clothes and turning off the air-conditioner, using public transportation, etc.

3.   DeborahLon 02 Mar 2010 at 11:38 am

I agree the climate has been changing. I remember when I went to Alaska to see the glaciers in 1997. There were such huge white ice glaciers. But when I went back last year. The glaciers were much smaller and covered with a layer of dark pollution. That icebergs have been melting a lot is a fact. If someone wants to see the glaciers, they should go some time soon before it’s too late.

4.   Laurion 03 Mar 2010 at 9:58 am

Well, Maha, I’m glad you had a chance to read more about the topic, and I understand your point of view, but I’m not sure I’m ready to blame fat people for causing climate change! I glanced at the article you were reading, and it explained that producing meat causes more carbon than producing vegetables. I’m not sure that being fat is necessarily caused by eating more meat, though. And there are a lot of fat people who ride the buses too! There are a lot of ways people can use less energy–turning off lights when you don’t use them, using dishwashers and washing machines when they are full, using less hot water to wash some things that don’t need it, taking fewer showers, etc. I’m not sure that only thin people do those things!

5.   Laurion 07 Mar 2010 at 12:28 am

I think it’s too bad other people don’t understand that global warming leads to climate change. It doesn’t mean that every place will be warmer; in fact, there are more extremes to the weather. I am afraid that corporations and people don’t want to bother making changes, and that we will all pay the price for that kind of thinking.

6.   Laurion 07 Mar 2010 at 12:31 am

I think it’s sad that the glaciers are disappearing. It also makes things worse as more ice melts. I don’t know how much melting people have to see to understand that there are changes. You would think that even if people didn’t believe that it was caused by things that people did, they would still be interested in trying to slow it down.

7.   Leaon 08 Mar 2010 at 10:12 am

Hey Lauri!
    First I have to say that I’m really sad that I missed your last lesson! I hope you’re ok!
    I think people cause the climate change. Almost every household has 2 or more cars, instead of just using public transportation. Some people are so lazy, that they use their car for short distances, even if they could walk easily that way!
    I think if more people would use car pools, public transportation or walk or take the bike for short distances, it would be really good for our environment!

8.   Laurion 08 Mar 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi Lea,

I’m doing okay, thanks. It was just too much to do treatments and teach too, so I decided to concentrate on getting better instead. I’m glad you answered my questions. I am always amazed when people want to drive their cars for short distances. Parking is terrible too! It is easier to walk if you can, or take the bus. I think that would help a lot too.

9.   Zinaidaon 09 Mar 2010 at 10:32 am

Hello Lauri,

I read a lot about global warming. The history of our Planet is very complicated. It was about 20 times our Planet was covered with ice, then melted. This history was approved by many scients. The changes on our Planet were all time and in the time when the civilization didn’t start. Now, some politiks play their dirty games on global warming. I believe in the Planet some days will be again covered by ice.
    Zinaida

10.   Laurion 09 Mar 2010 at 11:47 am

Too bad none of us will be around to know who was right ;).

Trackback URI | Comments RSS