Feb 02 2010

I Love the Internet

Published by under Internet

In yesterday’s reading, Medicine, I gave three links to sites on the Internet where you can get information about medications–how to take them, what side effects they have, who shouldn’t take them, what they are for, etc.

The Internet is a wonderful place to get information. I use Google to find things on the World Wide Web because it is my favorite search engine. In fact, it is the only one that I use. You can use a search engine by putting in the words you are looking for, and the search engine will examine its memory and give you a list of all the webpages that have those words on them. Google uses a method which usually puts the webpage you want at the top of the list. I remember back in 2000 when Google said it could search 1 billion webpages. Now, although Google no longer says how many webpages it searches, estimates are that the number is up to 40 to 60 billion, and Google has explained it has found 1 trillion (1,000,000,000,000) different webpages, although it doesn’t search them all.

Many people have websites now. Anyone can put anything on a webpage, so of course you have to be careful to make sure you get your information from a website that is accurate. I use Google to find all kinds of information. My husband laughs at me now because whenever he asks me a question, I go to the computer to find the answer. All government agencies, all large companies, museums, and even many restaurants are on the Internet. You can find out the symptoms of a disease, how much your old car is worth, how many people live in France, what time the bank is open, how to make pizza, and so on.

I am planning to make a few lessons about the Internet, Internet searching, and so on. Do you use the Internet now? What do you do on the Internet? If you don’t know how to use the Internet, what would you like to learn? What kinds of websites do you want to visit?

37 responses so far

37 Responses to “I Love the Internet”

1.   Yukoon 02 Feb 2010 at 10:21 am

Hi, Lauri!
    Yes, I use the Internet. Nowadays, we can do almost everything that we want to do. I use it when I have no idea for today’s dinner menu, or when I want to talk with my mom in Japan. I also use online shopping, investments, payments and so on.
    The day when I bought my PC for the first time was when I was a university student, so I had never used the Internet before that. But now I can’t live without the Internet!!

2.   Crystal Fengon 02 Feb 2010 at 10:37 am

I think it would be very hard for me if I had no internet one day.
    It lets you look into the things that you want very easily and stay in contact with your friends and relations immediately no matter how far they are from you. And I also can have fun on the internet. I can watch TV, movies on the internet, and read books etc and I don’t need to go out, just stay at my home. I often write blog posts on the internet to share my feelings too.

Google is my home website because I like to search for kinds of news, information, photos and so on, whatever I need. I think it’s my live dictionary.

I think I’m so lucky because I’m in the US now. I can use the internet very freely but I can’t use the internet so freely in China because the government blocks many foreign websites, such as facebook, youtube and maybe google will be the next one. It’s bad news, isn’t?

3.   Kenon 02 Feb 2010 at 10:40 am

I agree that the Internet has become more and more useful today. But it also causes lots of problems. One of these is the security problem on the web. For instance, I have been attacked by a virus several times. It’s so annoying to me and makes me upset every time. As a result, I don’t have confidence in either online banking or online consumption.

4.   xyliaon 02 Feb 2010 at 10:40 am

I like the Internet and I’m afraid of the Internet.
    The Internet changed my life a lot. I can go shopping without leaving home. I can know everything in the world just sitting in front of my computer. I can’t imagine if there were no Internet one day.
    On the other hand, the Internet is horrible. People have no secrets. Someone even can see your private files which are hidden in your computer by using the Internet.
    What should we do?

5.   Camilaon 02 Feb 2010 at 10:55 am

I use the internet a lot for many purposes. I search for tips and what to do when I am going to another country or place that I’ve never been. For example, yesterday I was looking for information about what to do in Chile and after a while I felt like I had been there! I also buy many things for my house like rugs and decoration stuff, toys for my 3-year-old son that we couldn’t find at stores. Some of them are used but in good shape and also with good prices! I also like to search for different kinds of food, recipes and spices for unusual dishes when I have some guests for dinner. I also buy used books; most of them are about travelling, food recipes, decoration, child development or another subject that I need to know better at the moment. I like to search for information about parks, events in the city, museums, movies, libraries, book stores, restaurants, dance class and other kind of entertainment. I also spend such a good time speaking with my relatives and friends in Brazil. I like to navigate in Brazilian sites, to know about news and what is going on there, but I try not to do it very often because I start feeling homesick and my life is here now. And I like to read the reviews before going to a movie, buying some stuff or trying a different thing!

6.   Agataon 02 Feb 2010 at 11:10 am

I think it’s good idea to make a few lessons about the Internet. Now everybody uses the Internet and these lessons can be very helpful. I use the Internet every day. I often use skype to talk with my family from Poland and instant messenger to talk with my friends.

7.   king tongon 02 Feb 2010 at 11:55 am

I always use the internet at home ! And I use yahoo as my search engine because yahoo is the most famous search engine in Hong Kong. I always use the internet for watching movies, MSN and forum. When I have a problem, I usually search in yahoo ! I would like to learn how to make a website. And I always visit facebook because I can know many things about my friends.

8.   Valentinaon 02 Feb 2010 at 11:59 am

Seven years ago I worked on the computer at the Bay Spring Woman’s Medical Group. I learned how to use the computer at City College. I took Word Processing, Spread Sheet and Excel. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to take English classes. When I have time, I use the computer at home. Sometimes I use the internet. But usually the computer in my home is always busy, because my daughter likes to play games on the internet. I would like to take Medical Manager class next year.
    Valentina

9.   naderon 05 Feb 2010 at 11:27 am

hi lauri
    I’m nader from iran. First I want to say thank you for your site.
    This site helps me about learning english.
    Yes, I use the internet very much to read news, because our government is a liar and we can just read true news on the internet.

10.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 7:05 pm

I have gradually used the Internet more and more too. I pay a lot of bills on the Internet, and do some banking too. I don’t shop for things too often, but I look up addresses and phone numbers a lot. I talk to my kids on an instant messenger too. It’s very convenient.

11.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 7:08 pm

Yes, I’ve heard that the Internet is not really “free” in China because the government blocks so many sites. Even so I think some people know how to get around it, but I think it probably isn’t very safe. I use Google for all my searches too. I have been using it for a long time, so I am very used to it now, and don’t like to use the other search engines.

12.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 7:48 pm

Do you have virus protection on your computer? I know there are more viruses for PCs than for Macs (my computer), but I still have anti-virus software on mine.

13.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 7:51 pm

I am not sure how much people can see of what is on your computer. First of all, they have to be interested. Then your computer has to be connected to the Internet. (I turn mine off at night, so it’s not connected all the time.) I doubt I have anything of interest for other people, but I don’t really know enough about it. I do think, however, if you are very nervous about it, that you can buy some kind of encoding software and you can also password protect some of your information.

14.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 7:53 pm

It sounds like you use the Internet as much or more than I do, Camila! I think there is no way that is more convenient and can give you as much information as the Internet.

15.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 7:57 pm

Oh, Hello Nader,

I made this blog for my class at school, but anyone who finds it is welcome to read it and post! I’m surprised that you can read the true news on the Internet. I thought maybe some things would be blocked, like in China. I know the people in Iran were using the Internet a lot.

16.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 8:00 pm

I use an instant messenger program too, to talk to my kids. My oldest son works for the State Department. So far he has been stationed in Tokyo, Japan, Dakar, Senegal, and now Washington, D.C. I can send him e-mail or talk to him on instant messenger, and it is very convenient. It is also free!

17.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 8:02 pm

I must be the only person who doesn’t use facebook! There are different ways to make a website. You can get a blog for free in several different places, but that’s not like a whole website. You can learn how to use a program that writes the code for you to make a website, or you can learn how to write the code yourself. I wanted to learn how to write the code, so I don’t know how to do it the other way.

18.   Laurion 06 Feb 2010 at 8:03 pm

In the beginning, we had only one computer in my house. Over the years, as my kids got older and I wanted to do more and more on the internet, we bought more computers. Now we each have our own, so we don’t have to worry about waiting for a turn. That used to make us crazy!

19.   Leaon 08 Feb 2010 at 10:06 am

Hey Lauri

I use the internet every day! I can’t live without it!
    I told you that I’m from Germany, so it’s a really really good way to keep contact with my friends and my family. We write almost every day, either at a chat, mails or we talk with each other over “Skype”. It’s pretty good, because you can see them during your talk. Pages like “Facebook” or “Wer-kennt-wen” (German) are pretty good for that. Also I have my own homepage, where I write down my Blog every day, so all my friends and family can look up what I’m doing the whole day.
    I also use the internet for research, like you said…find some restaurants, an English dictionary or to book flight tickets.

Best Lea

20.   Mahaon 08 Feb 2010 at 10:29 am

You are right Lauri, The Internet is a wonderful place to get information and it gives us a lot of services without going out and in a very easy way. And I think that the Internet is one of our most important technologies we have in our world and all the people should learn how to use the Internet to make their life easier. Myself, I use the Internet to look for any information such as any diseases I need to read about. If I need to know about anything related to my religion, I can open the Internet to know the places I can go to pray and any other details. Sometimes I open it to search for the code number to talk to other countries around the world. And the most important thing the internet helps me with in my life is that I can talk to my family with video. Two other important things the internet helps me with is paying my bills on line and looking on google maps to find any address I want to go to. At last I can say this kind of technology makes my life easier.

21.   Dang, Bettyon 08 Feb 2010 at 10:45 am

Hi Lauri,

Now a lot of people use the internet because it will save your time when you decide to go somewhere. I think using the internet is very convenient. I don’t know so much about how to use the internet, but I saw my husband use the internet to look for a new car or anything else for good prices and to get directions. My kids use the internet to talk with their friends and play games. Also I heard my friends can watch movies on the internet. They don’t need to rent movies anymore and can save money. I am using the internet to learn typing. I will try to learn more information on the internet.

22.   Ibtisamon 08 Feb 2010 at 10:49 am

I use the Internet only in the computer class when I need to know some information about some kind of disease like the H1N1 flu or high blood pressure. I usually do that during the health care class with Camilla and also with Lauri about kinds of food or the recipes for cooking and more. I love taking a few lessons about the Internet but I don’t know what subjects the Internet would be dealing with so I can’t choose the interesting ones. So please tell me about that to get some ideas. Thank you very much for your consideration to improve our knowledge.

23.   Fredon 08 Feb 2010 at 10:58 am

I wake up with the internet everyday to see if I have messages from my family and friends, to search for information about activities or trips for kids on the weekend or for holidays. I also use it to complete our adventures in California on our Blog and to maintain contact with all my friends and working relations in France and all over the world. I’m cooking a lot and I love mixing recipes I can find with one spice or one new vegetable on google or some special websites. All my family, my husband and kids, my parents and parents-in-law now use tools like wikipedia and skype. With the internet we can watch French TV online. My 6 year old studies his English lessons with a CD Rom on my computer or my 15 year old solves many exercises by searching on the internet and for both it is like a game. We are very aware about the dangers and like to see what they are doing and looking at on the internet, but in the same way, they need to know how the internet can help them in their life.

24.   bettyon 08 Feb 2010 at 11:07 am

Dear Lauri,
    I use the internet a lot to contact many of my friends. I search for tips on what to do and if I want to go anywhere. I also can talk to my friends on the internet and get a lot of what I want.

25.   Gabriellaon 08 Feb 2010 at 11:07 am

I use the internet every day because it helps me feel connected to my native country Germany where I moved from 10 months ago. Getting political news of my country or of Europe in general is difficult so the Internet is a great opportunity to be and stay informed. But more important: it’s the only connection to my friends and to my family. Sometimes I use the camera installed on my laptop to feel closer to them and see how much or little they have changed. :-) But the best is that telephoning to Germany is, thanks to the Internet, absolutely cheap. We have a German telephone number so it’s free for us and friends to communicate with.
    On the other hand, I use the Internet to put things on sale for example at “craigslist” or if I’m looking for something in particular: Jobs, information about the San Francisco System (muni, libraries, movie theatres, reviews about almost everything like restaurants, doctors etc.), or watching DVDs. I can say that the Internet is very important for me and I can’t live without it!

26.   yasukoon 08 Feb 2010 at 11:16 am

Hi! Lauri

I am interested in using the internet. I usually use skype only. I’d like to know how to use the internet to do more things. So I am planning to take the internet lesson this year.

27.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 3:16 pm

I have never used Skype, but it might also be because I don’t have a camera on my computer. My sons use it sometimes, however. I think it’s nice that you have a blog that your friends and family can follow to find out what you are doing. It’s a good idea!

28.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 3:20 pm

I use the Internet a lot of ways that you do, but I have never talked on the Internet using video. My computer doesn’t have a built-in camera, so I would have to get one special. Most of my family lives in this area, so it’s not as important to me, but my oldest son and his wife are living in Washington DC now, and will be moving to China in a couple years. Maybe by then I will get a camera!

29.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 3:21 pm

I don’t know about the typing program on the Internet, but I am not surprised to learn about it. There are many things you can do on the Internet. Maybe when I retire, I will make some more stories and exercises for my website. There are lots of people who like to design things on the Internet, so you can always find things to read and study.

30.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 3:23 pm

I am thinking about how and what to teach about the Internet. I will probably add some lessons in the second half of the class. After I retire, maybe I will have more time to cook. Then I can check out the recipes on line.

31.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 3:25 pm

It’s interesting to realize that the current generation is really the “computer generation.” Those of us who are older learned about computers, but we can remember a time when there were no computers. Younger people don’t know about a time without computers. They take it for granted that information about anything is available “at your fingertips” at all times of the day or night. Now, I use the Internet so much, I wonder how I ever managed without it! (Well, I remember we used encyclopedias, phone books, etc. )

32.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 8:01 pm

I know you like to use e-mail, Betty! You and your friends send all kinds of beautiful and interesting pictures.

33.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 8:03 pm

I agree with you, Gabriella. I can’t live without the Internet either. When the Internet isn’t working, it just doesn’t feel right!

34.   Laurion 08 Feb 2010 at 8:06 pm

Hi Yasuko,

Actually, I teach lessons in the Internet at 8:15 and 12:15, in the computer classes. I hope to do a little more in the 10:15 class too, but since it is an English class first, I will do less than in the other classes, which are computer classes first.

35.   DeborahLon 09 Feb 2010 at 10:32 am

We can not live without the computer nowadays. I use it for email and paying my bills. I am interested in learning how to upload the pictures from my camera to my computer. Is there any class to take for that ?

36.   Zinaidaon 09 Feb 2010 at 10:40 am

Internet in my life.
    I remember the time when I had a skeptical opinion about a computer. It was exactly when I came to the U.S.
    I read a lot about computers and their future, how they’ll change peoples’ lives. For example, a person can work from home, and be connected to the entire world. Also, you can buy something not only the best quality , but much cheaper. But the best was we can get any information from the computer. It was unbelieveble.
    When I started to study computer, I had quickly changed my skeptical opinion. Now I’m using the Internet, connecting to my friends who are living in different parts of the world, ordering things that I need for needlepoint. I like to get and to send many e-mails from friends, I get much information, and learn many interesting things like the best places and architecture.
    Every day I spend 3-4 hours near my computer, and it brings me closer to the best that was created for centuries, and I’m very happy.

37.   Shox Turboon 04 Jul 2010 at 8:34 pm

The review is incredibly excellent. You analyse in your round.I will go on to awareness your other terrific posts. I like this style of post particularly very much.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS